Twenty Products People With Chronic Disease Should Try For Themselves
When you struggle every day with the pain, fatigue and or brain fog of fibromyalgia or other chronic disease, it can quickly become frustrating and exhausting – especially since there’s no cure or one-size-fits-all treatment. Finding a product or technique to help ease your symptoms is often a never ending process of trial and error that usually involves a combination of treatments rather than one single solution or fix.
Although there is likely no single item that will totally alleviate your symptoms, many of those in the chronic illness community have found some products (or a combination of products) that help them push through even their toughest flare up days.
1. Epsom Salt – Epsom salt has a number of health benefits, including soothing muscle pain and reducing swelling. Try adding some to a warm bath and give your body time to soak and relax. – Buy the epsom salt above for $27.99 on Amazon.
2. Salonpas Pain Relieving Patches – Salonpas patches are applied on your body directly where you’re hurting and have a topical analgesic that can help relieve muscle aches and pains. They offer several types of patches (i.e. some contain lidocaine, while others provide heat) depending on the type and level of your pain. – Buy the pain patches above for $9.89 on Amazon.
3. Magnesium Lotion – Magnesium is a nutrient that has many health benefits for the average person, but for those with fibromyalgia, its anti-inflammatory properties can be especially helpful. Some use magnesium lotion and let it absorb through their skin. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking any supplements. – Buy the magnesium lotion above for $18.50 on Amazon.
4. Yeti Hand Warmers – Not only do these gloves look awesome, but they plug in via a USB cord to warm your hands. If you have Raynaud’s phenomenon or get cold often, these fun hand warmers may help. (They also come in slippers, too!) – Buy the Yeti Hand Warmers above for $34.99 on Smoko.
5. Heated Blanket – Not only can a heated throw blanket help keep you warm, but the heat may also be beneficial in soothing some of your aches and pains. – Buy the heated blanket above for $49.26 on Amazon.
6. Deep Heat Gel – The Deep Heat rub delivers both heat and pain relief when applied. “Deep Heat gel! It burns like hell but it works wonders after the initial burning sensation dies down. – Buy the rub above for $6.17 on Amazon.
7. Chillow Pillow – The Chillow Pillow is a cooling gel pad you can use to ease hot flashes or aches and pains due to fibro. You can place it under your back, wrap it around an arm or leg or even put it under your pillow to keep you cool while you sleep. – Buy the Chillow Pillow above for $11.09 on Amazon.
8. Pain Gone Pain Relief Pen -If you need pain relief on the go, this portable pen may be useful. “Paingone – it’s a pen-shaped device that delivers little shocks like a TENS machine. – Buy the pen above for $58.83 on Amazon.
9. Two Old Goats Essential Oil Lotion – Made with goat’s milk, almond oil and six essential oils (lavendar, chamomile, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus and birch bark), this lotion promises to help soothe sore muscles. – Buy Two Old Goats Essential Oil Lotion for $28.80 on Amazon
10. Lush 93,000 Miles Shower Jelly – Made with eucalyptus and mint, this shower jelly promises to cool and soothe cramping muscles and ease aches and pains. – Buy Lush 93,000 Miles Shower Gel for $19.99 on Amazon.
11. Tennis Balls – If your muscles are aching and in need of some massaging, a tennis ball may be a helpful tool. You could roll it back and forth where you’re tense or use it to put pressure on trigger points. – Buy the tennis balls above for $8.88 on Amazon.